DFM Access is a 12-week development platform for entry level producers.
It provides a nurturing framework for participants with existing long-form or episodic independent film projects to improve their project packages and pitching skills for the global marketplace.
With support from the National Film and Video Foundation PESP funding, 23 South African projects were selected to participate in the weekly plenary sessions and one-on-mentorship. The programme will focus on topics such as story development, legal aspects of film production and financing, international co-production, distribution and pitching.
“DFM Access is an important development platform for emerging producers,” says DFMI director Magdalene Reddy. “Many filmmakers are either unable to access film markets or not equipped to do so. This programme was created to ensure filmmakers have the tools to participate effectively in local and international markets.”
At the end of the 12-week programme all 23 projects will pitch to an independent panel of industry professionals who will select 3 projects to pitch in the 14th annual Durban FilmMart as an official project.
DFM ACCESS 2023 PROJECTS:
- Durban’s Finest – The Rise of Durban Kwaito, produced by Bongani Zondi
- IKHUBALO, produced by Fezile Zama
- Izindlovukazi zoma Maskandi, produced by Khanyisile Zondi
- Izintombi Zomkhonto: Flowers of the Revolution, produced by Sithabile Mkhize
- KAMDEBOO, produced by Toroga Denver Breda
- Namakwaland, The Green Frontier, produced by Harron Gunn-Salie
- The Flying Doctor, produced by Keneilwe Sarah Miffie
- Ubuntu Swim & surf development, produced by Nkosinamandla Makhathini
- Briefcase, produced by Ludwe Tomose
- IMIMOYA ILINDILE, produced by Slindile Mthembu
- Karmic Debt, produced by Lerato Mileng
- Ma (Mother), produced by Minenhle Luthuli
- Njuzu, produced by Kudakwashe Maradzika
- Selene, produced by Danielle Retief
- Sinners, produced by Zahra Dada
- SOAP, produced by Francois Maree
- STOLEN FREEDOM, produced by Leo Phiri
- The Greeks on Zama Street, produced by Aurelie Stratton
- uNikiwe noPhumelela, produced by Samke Makhoba
- Burbz, produced by Emma Tollman
- Nzumbe, produced by Razeen Dada
- Sowing Wild Oats, produced by Lwazi Duma
- Zoo People, produced by Nazruddin (Dino) Adrus
The 14th Durban FilmMart will take place on 21-24 July 2023 in Durban. Delegate registration will open in late April 2023.
The DFM Access is produced by the Durban FilmMart Institute with principal funding from the Durban Film Office and Ethekwini Municipality. The DFM Access 2023 is supported by South Africa’s National Film and Video Foundation PESP funding.